Monday, June 25, 2007

(Almost) Just like Mom's

So, after all this talk about Crunchy Meat and how it was my most memorable meal, I decided to recreate the whole thing this weekend for the boys. We were all in need of some serious comfort food, and this seemed perfect. It is also surprisingly simple to pull together!

I bought some milk fed veal cutlets and started the most labour intensive, and horribly messy part- the dipping and dunking. I set up 3 bowls. First one was plain white flour with a touch of salt & pepper, second one was a couple of eggs beaten, and the third one was dry bread crumbs with salt, pepper, dried oregano and parsley. I lightly coated each piece of veal with the flour, then dipped in the egg and coated with breadcrumbs. I heated a large frying pan with a bit of vegetable oil (not olive oil, just cause that's how Mama Lucy does it and I wanted to conform to her standards). Cooking in batches, make sure not to overcrowd the meat and cook each side until golden. I suggest making a lot extra so you can have veal sandwiches or veal parmigiano the following day!


I drained them on paper towels for a few minutes, then arranged on a platter and added the final flourish of grated parmigiano reggiano. Ta da.......


Alongside this traditional family meal, I made roasted potatoes and a salad dressed in a simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. I cut the potatoes into wedges and drizzled some olive oil, salt, pepper and dried oregano and parsley flakes (I sometimes also add a couple crushed garlic cloves, but omitted them this time). I placed them on my large stone bake sheet and roasted at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes. The amazing thing about the stonewear is I didn't even have to flip them over, they brown evenly on both sides. Perfect for a forgetful person like me.


I was hoping to add some fabulous, home baked treat to complete the meal. I didn't get around to that part, but maybe next time as I'm sure this meal will pop up in my house over and over. It was really good comfort food. The only thing different was that I was serving it to the boys instead of my Mom serving it to me. I think I like it this way too!

7 comments:

Aimée said...

This looks like perfect comfort food. Good job! So...did the boys like it?

Sandy said...

Hi Aimee, yes, everyone loved it. I think my husband enjoyed it most though. He didn't have it growing up but has gotten used to it at my parents house too.

Kelly-Jane said...

That looks like a fabulous meal. I've only once eaten snichzel (sp?)and it was called Thai vegetable snichzel, so not the real deal at all! It was good though!!

Glen said...

Crunchy meat is always a delicious treat.

Good job Sandy.

Love you lots...

Glen

Lisa said...

Me want.
You did it perfectly and I think Mama Lucy can be quite proud!

julie said...

Sounds like the sort of meal I could eat on a regular basis too!!

annauk said...

Wonderful family meal, you've inspired me wonderfully, thank you.