Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Mmmm-muffins!

When I go on holiday, I like to buy a cookbook or two or three. I love to collect them and I always remember where they came from. On my trip last week to Cape Cod, one of the books I picked up was The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. I've been interested in this book for quite awhile and especially after Ilana has raved about it time and time again. So I picked up not only the book, but also a big bag of the All Purpose Flour and dived into itlast night.

I started with one of my favorite things....muffins! I love muffins, but what's not to love about them? They are easy to make, they can be breakfast, a snack or even dessert, and can house any flavourings your heart desires. They can be sweet or savoury and they can be slathered with butter or jam. I love them as long as they are moist- there is nothing worse than a dry, crumbly muffin.

I began with King Arthur's recipe for Spiced Peach Muffins. I had ripe peaches in the fruit basket and the combination of them with nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon sounded very appealing. They turned out really well. I think jam on these would be particularly nice. You can find the recipe here.




After that, I thought I'd try the cinnamon puffs. They were so simple to make and taste delicious too. Here is the recipe:

King Arthur Cinnamon Puffs

Muffins
3 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
5 1/2 TBSP butter melted (2/3 stick)

Topping
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 TBSP butter melted (1/2 stick)





Preheat oven to 350 degrees



For the muffins, whisk together all dry ingredients (not including the toppings). Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.

In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then add the milk & melted butter. Add the wet mixture to the well in the flour mixture. Stir until evenly moistened (batter may be lumpy). Lightly grease muffin cups. Fill them 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes.

While the muffins are baking, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. When the muffins are done baking, let them cool just enough so that you can handle them. Dip the tops in the melted butter, then into the sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Makes 12 large muffins.









So far I am very happy with the book. Can't wait to try more!

4 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

Lovely Muffins! I need to bake something I really do!

Glad you had a great holiday away.

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

What a lovely blog! I'm new to blogging too. It's such a good thing to do because it's 'me' time. Glad you decided to take the plunge. I got here via Kelly-Jane. I'm the mum of 2 boys too (they're 2 and 5). They would have begged to eat the lobster you had. Sounds like a wonderful holiday.

Paola said...

Yum! Those muffins look absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the recipe!

Paola

annauk said...

The cinnamon buns are fantastic!!!!! I adore them, and you've reminded me that I haven't made them for aaaaaaages!!!!!
xx