Monday, June 4, 2007

The Pig Party


The porchetta made its appearance at many of our family celebrations when I was growing up. It took a hiatus from gatherings for awhile, but made a welcome comeback this year. My father recently held a party to bring together old traditions with family that gets together all too little these days. It was, for lack of a better term, coined the Pig Party!
Glen and I wanted Camden to be prepared for it, so for weeks we spoke about it and told him we were going to eat pig. It seemed to have worked because he was so excited to see it. He stood patiently beside my father while he meticulously carved away. As time went on, his gaze was more and more intense (as you can see in the picture), while my niece was avoiding even looking at the pig. Finally he blurted out loudly to everyone 'I want the meat off the pig's back!' It was such a proud moment for me!
There is a great chapter in Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Italy that covers the topic of exposure of food in different cultures (particularly meat and animal carcasses which are pictured in a kiddie pool). It is very interesting and made me think about what I was exposed to as a child. I doubt we will have porchetta in our own family very often, but I hope that it will appear from time to time and that Camden will come to remember it as a small part of his childhood, like I do mine.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I bet that porchetta tasted so delicious. Where is your Dad from? I think it's great to expose people (young and old) to lots of different cultures, food, and experiences.

Sandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy said...

Hi Lisa, thanks for the compliments! My Dad is from Lanciano, which is in the region of Abruzzo, Italy. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I hope to take the boys there one day to show them where Grandpa is from.

Kelly-Jane said...

Looks like quite a feast! :)