Wednesday, July 4, 2007

More and more strawberries!

After strawberry picking, I have more berries than I know what to do with. We were invited to my mother in laws for dinner, so I gladly offered to make the dessert.

I have been making Nigella's Chocolate Pavlova from Forever Summer for years but thought I'd try this one instead. This one is also Nigella's recipe found in a back issue of Delicious (Australian version). It's called Pavlova with Balsamic Strawberries and was taken from a summer meal which included meatballs with tomato sauce and pine nuts.
The pav base puffed up to perfection and remained chewy on the inside (much more so than the chocolate version does for me). The whipped cream and balsamic soaked berries were the best compliment. It is such an easy dessert to pull together but makes such an impression. If you are looking for tips on pav's, check out this link. If you need a good pav recipe, this one is the same as the version I used.
The topping was 500g of strawberries with 1 TBSP of sugar, 1 generous TBSP of balsamic vinegar, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Mix and let the berries macerate for 15 minutes or up to 2 hours before placing on top of the whipped cream topped pavlova and enjoy!

4 comments:

Aimée said...

Looks GREAT, Sandy! I love pavlova, it always seem so decadent, but is surprisingly simple, eh? I guess it's not as humid in TO than it is here, if I tried a pavlova today, it would never crisp!

Sandy said...

Aimee, our weather has been so unpredictable here. I guess it was a lucky day and yes, pavlova is so simple. I've made wuite a few, but this one was really my best!

Kelly-Jane said...

Your pav looks great! It's got such a rise, mmm :)

annauk said...

I'm a bit scared of pav making, need to overcome my fears.....
Yours looks wonderful!