Sunday, July 22, 2007

Snakes & Snails & Puppy Dog Tails

Growing up in a house of mostly girls, I was pretty girlie. I loved makeup, Barbies, clothing and jewelry. I imagined myself one day having daughters that would share these interests with me. I thought they would cook with me, share beauty secrets and spend time chatting with me over manicures. Fast forward to now, and I'm happily surrounded by boys!

Aside from a little stomach bug, and the nastiest diapers I have ever had to change in my life, this weekend was perfect! For the first time in 17 years with Glen, he actually baked something for me. I slept in a little bit while he hung out with James in the kitchen and when I finally made my appearance, voila!


Cinnamon Buns! Yes, they were the Pillsbury variety, and they were delicious! Now, I have been with Glen since I was 15 years old, and never would I have ever believed such a thing could happen. It was a momentous occasion. He even snapped a picture for me before I inhaled one with his freshly brewed coffee. He scored major points this weekend!!!

Later on in the day, and countless vile diapers later, the boys went outside to enjoy the weather while I got dinner started. They got dirty, splashed around in the sprinkler and came back soaking wet and happy. The spiderman towels were a big hit with them!



I decided to make a pot roast dinner for the first time. I found an interesting recipe in Laurie Colwin's Home Cooking book which included a pureed red pepper 'gravy'. It was not like any gravy I've had before and it was so good! Easy too.

I wasn't sure what to make to end the meal, so I recruited Camden for some help. He's always been a big fan of Nigella and Ina (Barefoot Contessa) after watching countless episodes of their shows with me on the food network. But imagine my surprise when he reached straight for their books on my shelf! There were many to choose from, but he went straight for his 2 faves!



He really is a fan of Ina though and kept spotting her pictures and saying 'Look Mama, Ina is here and there and everywhere...and with cake too!' I am not surprised though. When he was just around 2 years old and I carried him through Williams & Sonoma, he spotted one of her books on the shelf and yelled 'INAAAAA!!!' And whenever he hears the theme song to her show, he stops dead in his tracks to see what's she's cooking next for Jeffery and all of their fabulous friends.
I eventually chose Nigella's Madeira cake from How to be a Domestic Goddess, but most definitely appreciated Camden's input on the matter.


While things were settling down in the kitchen, James quietly decided that crayons were his new thing. I spent a lot of time showing him that the coffee table, hard wood floors, kitchen chairs and other assorted places were not the right canvas for his new found art. He seemed to grasp this until I noticed him stashing crayons between the couch pillows for a later day I assume???



At the end of the day, everyone was full, tired and content. I am sitting here thinking about how much fun boys are and how I couldn't imagine our house any other way. They are fearless and fun and more than I ever imagined.

6 comments:

knicksgrl0917 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa said...

Boys are so wonderful! I hope you're all feeling better!
Camden deserves an Ina sheet cake w/M&Ms!!
Lisa xoxo

Aimée said...

Aww, how cute! I love when a guy cooks breakfast. Danny and I have been together since we were 15, too. How funny!

Kelly-Jane said...

Great pics and hope everyone is feeling better now.

It's is so lovely that you had a breakfast made for you too:)

Paola said...

What a beautiful post, Sandy! I just love how you describe your family. There's so much love shining through your words. It's so cute that your little guy is quite the foodie there! He and Kirstie could talk! ;)

paola

annauk said...

What a lovely post Sandy, your family are adorable!!!
xxx