Monday, August 6, 2007

James and the Giant Peach

Well, maybe not giant, but James and the peach it was for dinner. We had my favorite recipe for Pork Tenderloin and grilled peaches alongside. The pork has a dry rub that's a little bit spicy courtesy of some cayenne pepper. It's cooked on the barbeque (off to one side with no fire underneath, and the temperature high on the opposite side). I first tasted this at a friend's house last summer and have been making it ever since. It's hard to stop shoving it in your mouth, and is just as good on a bun in sandwich form the next day. It's a recipe from Rob Rainford (Licence to Grill) that I've adapted slightly to suit the little people in our house. Here's the recipe:
Cajun Rubbed Pork Tenderloin
30ml coarse salt (kosher or sea)
3 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp dried thyme
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp dried sage leaves
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix all together and rub all over 2 pork tenderloins, silver skin removed, and let them rest in the rub a few hours if possible. Preheat one side of your grill to high and leave the other side off. Put the pork on the side with no heat and leave for about 40-45 minutes turning over once or twice. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing on the diagonal.
On the side I made rice, broccoli and grilled peaches. The Broccoli with balsamic butter sauce and was my first recipe attempt from a fairly new book....Nantucket Open House Cookbook by Sarah Leah Chase. It was a success as I think many of her recipes will prove to be. I've spent this entire long weekend flipping through the book over and over and am so excited to make more more more! I've shoved sticky notes in about half of the book and am debating what to try next. I think Ms. Chase is gonna keep me busy in the kitchen for awhile. More on that coming soon....

1 comment: