Monday, August 6, 2007

Nantucket Season!

Although I didn`t actually visit Nantucket, I was in Cape Cod this past June. It was everything I had imagined it would be.....calm, peaceful, full of seafood shacks and wood shingled homes and cottages. Blue skies, salt air and ocean, friendly people and mystery novel worthy lighthouses. I had read somewhere that Cape Cod is a vacation spot opposite of the Hampton`s.......meaning not a Hummer or designer bag in sight. I did spot a designer bag or two, but it really did lack any pretentiousness that I like to avoid especially while on holiday.
I waited until this trip to finally pick up Sarah Leah Chase`s Nantucket Open House Cookbook. I had heard about it and read great reviews and thought it would be a great souvenir (I like to pick up cookbooks when I travel). I haven`t had time to really look long and hard at it until recently inspired by Lisa and Michelle. I`ve spent the entire long weekend going through it cover to cover and it is excellent. I love it and would recommend it to anyone who loves to cook or eat.
The Orange Shortbread recipe is in the Christmas section of her book, but I couldn`t wait until December to try it. It was delicious and made such a large quantity of cookies which I think is great (I feel like it`s time well spent to have so many left for the week). They are buttery, soft and light with a lingering orange flavour. I`m adding them to my Christmas baking assortment without a doubt. I think they might be nice half dipped in chocolate for a little over the top decoration or presentation too.



The recipe was a cinch, I have it in memory already which is saying a lot for me.

Orange Shortbread from Nantucket Open House Cookbook
2 cups Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
1.5 cups of Brown Sugar
4 cups All Purpose Flour
pinch of salt
Zest of 2 Oranges
2 eggs, whisked
2 TBSP water

Cream the butter and sugar. Add in the flour and salt, bit by bit, until completely incorporated )it should be a fairly stiff dough). Mix in the orange zest. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a half an inch thickness and cut out shapes with a cookie cutter. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and brush with the egg and water wash. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks and try not to eat a dozen like I did.
They are oh, so good!

4 comments:

Aimée said...

These look divine! I've been thinking about Cape Cod for our next little trip, too. Glad you recommend it.

Sandy said...

Thanks Aimee, how are you feeling? I've heard great things about Cape Cod in the Fall. And your son would probably love it as ours did.

Kelly-Jane said...

They do they look fab! I must get my list done for this book...

Mansi Desai said...

Hmmm...looks inviting..I love orange, but tasting this would be something new for me, though I'd do it gladly:)

-Mansi
http://funnfud.blogspot.com