Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Yayia, OPA!

When I first started working full time, it was on the Danforth in the heart of Greektown. I think I stayed in that job as long as I did because of the food, mainly. I love Greek food. I don't know what's not to love about it. The dips and appetizers alone are enough to satisfy me.

Now that my sister Julie is watching our little guy, he is getting to taste some of the the real authentic stuff. Julie makes a few Greek dishes and Harry's Mom Effie is always bringing good stuff over for the kids. Spanakopita, bean dishes, stuffed peppers and tomatoes and so much more. Here is my very well fed James with his Greek goddess Mia.


When I got Tessa Kiros's book Falling Cloudberries, I was immediately struck by the chapters on Cyprus & Greece. Finally, I had some of the recipes for dishes I had only sampled on Effie's buffet table. Those melt in your mouth butter beans with tomatoes, I found the recipe in this book. Bougatsa, also in this book. Stuffed vegetables, spinach pies, keftedes, loukoumades, all in this book. I haven't made them all yet, but I've started.

This weekend I made a delicious one I know I will repeat over and over. Leg of Lamb with Oregano and Lemon.
So simple, but perfect. With it, we had a Greek Salad, Tzatziki and some roasted carrots.

Afterwards, we slurped on Yogurt Popsicles with pureed berries inspired by Deceptively Delicious.
It is kind of cold weather for popsicles, but after that mediteranean feast, it worked.
And luckily, I had some leftovers to send over for Mia and James the next day.

6 comments:

Ms O said...

Look at that amazing food! Falling Cloudberries sounds like it should be my next cookbook.

The children are darling! I imagine they loved those popsicles.

Lea x

Kelly-Jane said...

I love Falling Cloudberries, in fact all of Tessa's books, I'm so excited for her new one on Portugal next year too!

Everything looks fabulous :)

Kitchen Goddess said...

I've always overlooked that recipe. I'll have to give it a try sometime, yours looks gorgeous.

George xx

Lisa said...

Lucky James! And little Mia is so cute!!
Your lamb and potatoes and salad and carrots all look so delicious!! I'll have to try the butter beans, I've never had them!

Mara said...

I adore these chapters of FC, too! And this lamb is gorgeous :P

Sandy said...

FC is one of my personal favorites, it is a great book.
Lea, you should really have a look at it.
Kelly-Jane, I am excited about the one on Portugal also.
George, hello and thanks!
Lisa, I wish I had lunch with the kids every day. I wonder if Tessa's butter beans will be as good as Effie's though (my sister's MIL).
Thanks Mara.