Sunday, January 6, 2008

Betsy-Tacy and Tib

I've already spent a good part of the year decluttering and organizing. Most of the work has been on the abundance of toys in our home which is really scary. I thought we bought very little for the kids this year, but I still feel like there is just too much. While practically buried in the basement sorting out toys to keep, donate to charity, or just toss in the bin, I found some of my childhood books. Among them was one of my old favorites Betsy-Tacy and Tib by Maud Hart Lovelace.

This book was always close by my bedside as a little girl. The yellow cover and illustrations alone made me smile. I could not remember all of the story details, it had been so long since I read it. So I started reading it again and was instantly filled with comfort. It's about Betsy, Tacy & Tib, 3 young girls who live on or near Hill Street and spend their days telling stories, playing games and occasionally getting into trouble (if you call ripping up their dresses, unravelling their hair and getting dirty trouble, that is). It's a simple, sweet and heart warming story about best friends enjoying childhood.

It just seemed fitting that I stumbled upon this old book that focuses on innocent adventures in a simpler time. I often wonder why balancing 2 young children with a full time career and life in general can get so complicated. It's been done since the beginning of time, and women used to have a lot more than 2 children. I think it's all in my approach and my own expectations, really. It's about realizing what is important, what is realistic, what is worth stressing over. At the end of the day, the boys just want love and attention. They don't care much if the laundry is piling up, or if the crumbs under the kitchen table could feed an army of mice. Their needs are simple, and that feels nice.
My goal for the new year is to keep things simple and enjoy the sweet moments with my family. This book reminded me of that.

2 comments:

Aimée said...

Beautiful post, Sandy. I think your new goal is an honorable one and hope I can follow suit. I am a bit of a 'neat-freak' and know that with a second baby coming (8 weeks!) I won't necessarily be able to have things the way I like them AND be the best mother I can be.
Three cheers for sweet family moments!

Stacey said...

ed upon your blog for the first time today and saw the cover of Betsy Tacey and Tib that I read. I was obsessed with the series for a few months in third grade or so. Thanks for the memory!