Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Knitting love

I think some people are naturally born with the talent to knit. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people, but I so want to be a knitter. I dream about picking up needles and yarn and effortlessly whipping up beautiful sweaters for my little guys. Oh, to be able to sit and knit without even thinking while watching a movie sounds like the epitome of multitasking to me.

I have had a basket of knitting 'stuff' for over a decade now, yet so few projects have seen completion. I've been taught the basics by my Mom and filled in the blanks with how-to books. I also took a knitting course before having my first baby, when the urge to knit hit me full force. I managed to finish one adorable little cap in time for his arrival, but other than that my knitting dreams lie in bundles in a colourful basket tote tucked in a closet. Every so often when I pull it out, I have to refer to my instructional books to remind me how to cast on, increase or decrease stitches. These things just don't stick with me naturally. Yet, I persist because it really is my idea of the perfect hobby.

Knitting is calming. There is something almost meditative about it. It is totally portable and can go anywhere with you. You can pick it up and put it down in between playing with the kids and making dinner. As you can see below, even a few minutes waiting for Glen at the train station is put to good use. And best of all, you end up with something handmade for yourself or a loved one.
Instead of picking up one of my old projects, I've found new inspiration and am rereading my how -to's. It really has been a slow start (which included a start, rip apart, and restart twice), but I'm hoping this time some hidden inner talent will finally shine through and my newest project will be ready before the weather changes too much. Not much need for a neck warmer / cowl in summer.

6 comments:

vonsachsen said...

Once you have the routine, you will be able to knit with your eyes shut. I used to be one of those natural born knitters but now I haven´t done that for many years.
You go girl!! :)

vs
xx

beki said...

I'm fairly new to knitting, but like you, I find it quite relaxing and meditative. I'm about to start knitting myself something to wear. I'm not sure how successful I'll be, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Good luck finding your groove!

Aimée said...

Have fun with your knitting! I am considering starting a small project for the new baby, but am wondering if I am crazy. I already have so much to do! It must be the 'nesting instinct' kicking in!

pistachio said...

I think to get the knitting bug you need to first make something that turns out to be a success. So start with something simple, and not too big, that you will actually finish and use.

I'm a knitter, both by hand and with a machine. But there again I also crochet and sew. I guess some of us are just more into handicrafts than others.

Good luck with it. Love that colour of wool you've chosen :)

pi xxx

Paola said...

My MIL taught Kirstie a little knitting a few years ago. I'm afraid she's forgotten all about it though.
I'd love to learn to knit myself though! How wonderful it would be to make my own warm mittens!

paola

annauk said...

I used to love knitting Sandy! I'll go and see if I can find the half-finished stuff.... :-)
xxx