Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Starting the New Year Right

Every January 1st, we all gather at my parent's house for New Year's Day Dinner. The little ones run wild and barely eat because they are so excited to play. But the adults completely enjoy a delicious dinner prepared by Mama Lucy.
We feasted on a lasagna, roast loin of pork, ribs, mashed potatoes and various vegetables. For dessert, Mama Lucy's fun side came out with these adorable cupcakes from a recent What's Cooking magazine (from Kraft Kitchens). Jello is poured over the cupcakes, then they are topped with cool whip and sprinkles.
Some of us so-called grown ups seemed more interested than the kids. We also had no-bake cheesecake which is one of my absolute favorite desserts ever!


My sister brought over a traditional sweet bread from her Greek mother in law that was prepared especially for our family. The lower half of the large loaf has 2008 on it, while the upper half has a strip of dough signifying each one of my parents, my siblings and myself, our husbands, and all of our children. Inside is a coin and whoever receives the coin is pegged to have a year of good fortune. I was hoping to get the coin myself this year, but my husband got it instead, and I hope the good fortune will trickle over to me as well. The bread is so good, slightly sweet with sesame seeds and flaked almonds on the top.

At the end of the meal, we were helping to clean up in the kitchen when the roasted potatoes and carrots were discovered, or more accurately forgotten, in the oven! Lucy was not happy, but she sent quite a generous portion home with each of us.

We spent our first dinner of the year enjoying great food & family. We're off to a fantastic start.

3 comments:

Kitchen Goddess said...

What wonderful food. SO delicious.

Happy New Year to you and your family!!

George x

annauk said...

Happy New year Sandy!
xx

Grace said...

Your family gatherings sound great!