Friday, February 1, 2008

i love snowstorms, i love ina

We woke up today to a beautiful snowstorm and decided to avoid the roads and all stay home. Glen & I set into motion early choosing the divide and conquer strategy. He ventured into the dark recesses of the basement to sort through the hideous number of unused toys while I stayed upstairs to address the dirty laundry situation. By noon, we had made some good progress so I decided to make a special lunch.

I had some fresh tilapia in the fridge and tried out a recipe from Nigella Express that has been on my mind for awhile. The fish is cut into strips and dipped into corn flour first, an egg mixture second, and lastly panko crumbs. They were fried until golden and set aside while I made a salad (to offset the whole fried food thing). It was a simple mixture of baby spinach, diced tomato and sliced avocados. Dressed in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and maldon salt....yum!

Shortly after lunch, we indulged in Ina's Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars. The recipe is from the Barefoot Contessa at Home and is possibly one of the best desserts ever. Surely, it is the most fabulous bar I have ever made. I'm talking tooth aching, melt in your mouth deliciousness.
I don't think Ina has one recipe that hasn't turned out well for me. But this one is a real winner. Glen asked me to bring some to my sister down the street, just so that he wouldn't eat the whole tray. They are just that good.

2 comments:

Kitchen Goddess said...

I could just eat that meal right now, it looks fabulous. Yum :)

George x

annauk said...

What a lovely picture of domesticity you paint Sandy!

Your lunch sounds so healthy (full of superfoods!)

And how much superer can you get than the lovely sounding Ina bar!!!
xx