Sunday, February 24, 2008

a martha moment- with chocolate babkas

I really wanted to bake bread this weekend. The only bread I've ever made is the no knead recipe (NY Times) and my timing for that just didn't work out. But I couldn't find anything else that I really wanted to try. Until I opened my Martha Stewart Baking Handbook, that is. It was the one and only page I had tagged from years ago- Chocolate Babkas. It was a little ambitious for a mama with time constraints. But I persisted with afternoon coffee & babka break visions in my head.

I started prepping and gathering more chocolate and butter than I thought possible. And it took hours between the dough rising, the chopping of chocolate, making a streusel topping, baking for 1 and a half hours, and so on.

The smell from the oven was incredible. The loaves looked perfect (although they didn't rise quite as much as I would have liked). And late on Sunday evening, after the boys were sound asleep, we sat at the table with a slice that called for milk by it's side.

I pulled out my handy menu planning notepad from the very sweet Norm, and thought about the week of food ahead in our house. There wasn't space on the notepad, but it's a given that the babka will be around each and every afternoon this week.


10 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

Oh that looks wonderful! Of only I had smell-and-taste-a-vision =)

Claudia said...

OMG, that bread looks so good.
And with a glass of milk...perfect harmony ;) I love the "design" on the slice of bread. Have a good week.

a friend to knit with said...

that looks incredible. and the smell. i can only imagine the smell. yumm!

Ms O said...

Whooo, does that look delicious! Does the recipe, by chance, call for orange zest?

Looks so yummy, Sandy!

Lea x

Sandy said...

Hi Lea! No, there is no zest in this recipe.
It was yummy, I just wish it would have risen more.

Katie said...

I love your blog! thanks for the visit today! I will be back to see what you are up to. Your pillow is awesome too!

Anna said...

Oh, Wow, those babkas look fantastic!
Well done!

Kitchen Goddess said...

That looks amazing, I bet your house smelt gorgeous.

George xx

vonsachsen said...

How could I miss this???? I´ve just stumbled upon this on Flickr!!! Yum, this cake looks soooo good!

Molly said...

oh my word! That is incredible, Sandy. Now that is one that I'd like to try, for sure.