Sunday, March 9, 2008

Lemony Sunshine

We've been hit with more snow. A lot more snow. And as pretty as it is, I am sort of over it. It is March Break afterall. And instead of being able to set out on some of our planned adventures, we are homebound making forts out of the sofa pillows and baking.

I did make one of my favorite desserts. I feel like I say that a lot though, so I came up with my Top 5 Favorite Desserts List this weekend. (Yes, this is what occupies my mind on a Saturday night!). Here they are, in no particular order, because that would be impossible to do!

1. Outrageous Brownies Barefoot Contessa
2. Shortbread Meltaways (with Toffee Bits) -possible the best cookie ever!
3. Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Tessa Kiros - Falling Cloudberries
4. Salted caramel Sauce to be poured on anything....ice cream, cheesecake, etc.
5. Sticky Lemon Pudding Jill Dupleix (from Delicious magazine)

Of course, there are many runners up and honourable mentions. World's Best Lemon Tart (Richard Sax), any kind of Pavlova, Salted Caramel & Milk Chocolate Mousse (from Lisa), Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars (Barefoot Contessa), Laurie Colwin's gingerbread, and so on, and so on. With choices like these, it's hard to make a decision of what to make! But I did, and in the midst of this winter wonderland, I needed a little sunshine so we had the Sticky Lemon Pudding.
It is heavenly, really. And I am always amazed at those recipes that provide a silky, creamy pudding type curd beneath a fluffy bit of sponge cake. This one is SO lemony good and dusted with icing sugar at the end.

I found the recipe in an older issue of Delicious magazine (the Australian one). It's from Jill Dupleix. Here it is:

Sticky Lemon Pudding
serves 4

70g unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
180g sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
3 eggs, seperated
60g plain flour, sifted
1 cup of milk
100ml lemon juice (from about 3 lemons)
icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350.
With an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale.
Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
Add the flour and milk, alternatively until you have a smooth batter, beating well. Lastly, beat in the lemon juice.

In another bowl, beat the egg whites until firm but not stiff, then fold into the batter. Pour into a buttered, 1-litre ovenproof dish and place in a large baking pan. Half-fill the pan with hot water, and bake for 50 minutes or until it is lightly browned and set on top, with a soft base of gooey lemon curd. Remove the dish from the water carefully, dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.

I hope it becomes a favorite of yours too!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh WOW! That looks fantastic! And I love the name, too! Pretty pictures & nice post, Sandy!

a friend to knit with said...

lemon anything is my favorite!
we had more snow this weekend too. i baked and ate too much, so this recipe will have to wait, but i WILL make it. it looks delicious! thank you!

Kitchen Goddess said...

Oh that looks so good. I want to bake it now, shame I'm out of lemons. Maybe tomorrow :)

George xx

sheepish one said...

as leslie said, lemon anything is my favorite. i would bypass chocolate for lemony desserts. i'll give this recipe a try sometime this week. mmm.

Claudia said...

My husband loves lemon and your recipe looks easy to make...perfect for me! I think that I will try it this weekend :)

Kelly-Jane said...

Snow does make you think of puddings I think, and this one looks delicious. I make one of tamasin's that is similar to this, raspberries with it sounds great.