Monday, April 28, 2008

my favorite pasta

This may look like nothing special, but it is one of those dishes that I love so much, I just have to share the recipe. It is so easy to make, with very few ingredients, and I could shovel bowlful after bowlful down my throat (Nigella style) without feeling any guilt.

The inspiration came from a little lunchspot in downtown Toronto which I used to frequent when I was working in the garment district. It was a pasta and salad bar that gave great portions for a very decent price. A girlfriend and I used to go for lunch there at least once a week and would nearly swoon if this fusilli with veal was on that day.

Here's my rendition of it:

Gemelli with Veal

500g of fusilli or gemelli shaped pasta
1/2 to 3/4 pound ground veal
2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
olive oil
crushed red pepper
salt, pepper, parsley
generous amounts of grated parmigiano reggiano cheese for serving

Cook pasta in salted boiling water. In the meantime, heat a skillet and brown the veal. Drain any fat (mine is usually quite lean and doesn't usually require this).
When the meat is almost cooked through, add the crushed garlic, crushed red pepper, spices and a small glug of olive oil.
When the pasta is done, drain and add to the skillet. If it's a little bit dry, you can add some of the reserved pasta cooking water, or another drizzle of oil.
Generously grate cheese on top and try to stop yourself from eating that second bowl.
Jamie had 3 bowls himself. I think every family has their share of stand by dishes, especially pasta ones. This one has become mine. It takes zero brainpower to pull together and I love its simplicity. It has taken it's place at the top of my list of favorite pasta dishes.

6 comments:

julie said...

It looks delicious! Not so easy to find ground veal around here, but worth looking for it or grinding it myself!

Anna said...

Jamie looks engrossed in his pasta, how sweet! I've never tried veal, though I would like to.
:-)

varenia said...

sweet photo! i really love those turtles!

a friend to knit with said...

okay. that looks fantastic!!! thanks for the recipe.
the photos of your guy are adorable.

Kitchen Goddess said...

That looks so good. Tricky finding good quality ethical veal locally, but when I can lay my hands on some I'll try this out.

George x

vonsachsen said...

Same here, unfortunately hard to find veal in any form :(
Sandy, your son is adorable!
xx