Wednesday, April 23, 2008

olive

I'd like to introduce you to someone. This here, is Olive.
The second I spotted her over at Wee Wonderful's, I knew I had to make her (and Archie too). If you haven't seen Hilary's Make Along Story, you really have to. It's brilliant. Oh, what I would have done for this doll when I was a little girl! I would have traded my bike, my entire sticker collection, and my snacks at school for a year!

I ordered the pattern months ago and decided to make this adorable duo for my niece's birthday. Olive was pretty easy to put together, but she remained faceless on a shelf for quite some time. I have never embroidered anything before, never mind the everlasting facial characteristics of a doll that may end up a member of a loved one's family. You know how that can happen, right?

So, I procrastinated with that little face for ages. Camden would grab her faceless body off of the shelf and ask me to finish her about every other day. But with Jenny Hart's Stitch it Kit handbook, and a little urging from an impending birthday party date, I did it.

I think she ended up pretty cute. Interesting eyebrows, yes, but cute just the same.

I decided to throw in a little doll quilt as well. When else could I make use of some of this pretty pink fabric? My boys are not too interested in pink, it's about the only colour thread I didn't have in my collection. (I feel a purchase coming up for this spaceboy ).

I didn't end up completing Archie though. I started and wasn't happy with the fabric I chose for him. They unravelled and kept causing me a lot of grief. I'll have to find some more masculin prints and now make 3 Archie's. One to be reunited with my niece's Olive, and one each for my boys.
Funny how with the completion of one project, I just gave myself 3 more.

11 comments:

Claudia said...

Olive is so cute. Traded an entire sticker collection? Wow, that is big!!! You did a beautiful job.

Blogging Molly said...

Very cute! That's funny about trading your sticker collection - my mom and I used to collect stickers. It was such a treat to go to the sticker store and pick out a few.

vonsachsen said...

What a cutie!
And I like that little blanket very much! Such nice colors and pattern.
xx

beki said...

So much cuteness!

Philigry said...

that is so sweet! love the doll.

a friend to knit with said...

oh, OLIVE!!! i love her!!!
and you will find the fabric for her mate, archie! i am sure of it!

Anna said...

Olive is sooo cute! Well done! You have such a talent!

Paola said...

Olive is a real cutie! You did a wonderful job with her, Sandy!

paola

Lisa said...

How neat. I think she is so adorable, and I love the quilt, it's beautiful.
Good for you!!

Kitchen Goddess said...

Olive is so cute. Well done!

Norm said...

She is adorable! I'm not a fan of plastic dolls, but fabric ones are so lovely.